Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Blogging Life: A Quest to Be Heard



Recently, I saw a hillarious TV commercial for FedEx. You can view the commercial above. As you can see, Carl was the best "presentation guy" because he put presentations together in print. But here he is mistakenly roped into giving a presentation having no prior knowledge of what it is he is supposed to present or discuss. Of course the kicker of the commercial is when Carl stands up and says, "Good morning...but, I digress."

As I thought about this commercial, I began to think about the world of blogging and even microblogging on Twitter, facebook, and other sites. It seems everyone is in a rush to be heard. We all want to get our voice out there. And so rather than having really great stuff to say, we get caught in the trap of just trying to say something in hopes that maybe we may get traffic to our blog or that our posts will get retweeted. And so, we end up looking like Carl with nothing really to say but feeling like we need to say something.

I think technology is great. I also love the fact that someones creative writing that has meaning and impact can spread like wildfire through cyberspace and have a positive effect on its readers. I can only hope that my musings on this site fall on the desktop of someone who benefits from them. But I also hope that I'm not blogging or writing simply to be heard. Proverbs 14:23 says "All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." I hope that this blog site is truly a site that has a positive impact and not just my narcissistic attempt at getting more followers.

2 comments:

treboR marO said...

LOL - that last tidbit is why I am hesitant to blog. I feel like most blogging that's what it's all about. I'll say you have some good stuff to say though.

Jason Huffman said...

Thanks for the feedback Robert. I've stumbled on some pretty worthless "Hey, I've GOT to write something today" blogs, but I try to say something that's relevant and helpful. Glad you found something you liked.